Welcome to the East Midland Regional Page
Regional updates will be posted on this page including summary updates from regional meetings. The expectation is for each local authority to have IRO representation at each meeting. Failing this, our members should share an update via the template provided by the chairs.
Derby | Derbyshire | Lincolnshire| Leicester | Leicestershire
Northamptonshire | Nottingham City | Nottinghamshire | Rutland
Regional Leads / Chair for the East Midlands Region
Chair of Regional Group: Izzy Martin
National Representative: Carolyn Knight
Regional Leads for the National Group:
The region has continued to benefit from workshop style meetings for all IROs in the East Midlands four times a year.
Attendance at regional meetings is very good. There are separate meetings held for regional IRO Managers and IROs. The Managers group is also attended by the Director of Children’s Services for Nottingham City as a link to the tier two group.
Meetings are held for both groups 4 times a year and have allowed the region to maintain an eye to the impact of the changes to IRO services and to local government children’s services.
Unless otherwise stated, all regional Manager’s meetings are held from 10 to 12pm and these are held shortly after the National Group meet to ensure information is disseminated
- Date: 24/7/2015 Venue Loxley House, Nottingham. Chair: Janet Marriott.
- Date: 23/10/2015 Venue Loxley House, Nottingham. Chair: Janet Marriott.
- Date: 22/01/2016 Venue Loxley House, Nottingham. Chair: Janet Marriott.
The IRO Group also meet once every 3 months and this year have been a workshop style event organised by the Regional Managers Group as follows:
- 9/12/2014 Venue Yew Lodge Hotel, Kegworth . Topic-Working with east European /Roma families and the courts
- 10/3/2015 Venue: Derby University Enterprise Centre. Topic: Effective Challenge
- 9/6/2015 Venue: Derby University Enterprise Centre. Topic: cCare planning and permanence
- 8/9/2015 Venue: Derby University Enterprise Centre. Topic: Learning from Good Practice, Child Participation & Inclusion
- 8/12/2015 Venue: Derby University Enterprise Centre. Topic: Evidencing Outcomes
- 13/12/2016 Venue: Leicershire. Topic: Prevent Agenda and items to be confirmed.
We are developing an action plan based on the National Action Plan and priorities contained within this.
- There have been some major changes in legislation and guidance this year. The region has discussed many of these, including the implications of the latest findings from research and best practice.
- The CAFCASS Regional Director attends the Regional Managers meetings twice a year and this is scheduled to continue. The focus this year has been on developing workshops for the IROs as detailed above.
- The regional manager’s group is looking to establish a regional group for those IROS who undertake the dual roles of conferencing.
- Workshops for IROs in 2016 have included:
- permanence including permanence options and what good permanence planning looks like
- Special Guardianship Orders
- Learning from Serious Case Reviews
- National initiatives such as the Children and Social Work Bill and findings of the Narey Report on Residential Care
- Care Leavers Strategy
- Reflecting on themes arising for different areas.
Links to the latest East Midlands Workshops
This is in development. The East Midlands region is developing an action plan based on specific objectives set out in the partnerships national work plan.
For more information please submit your query and contact details below.