How the partnership came into being
The partnership formed originally in 2004 as a ‘working group’ made up of IRO Managers who were representatives from the Government regional areas across England, to work with the Department for Education (DfE) on ‘IRO guidance’ for The Adoption and Children Act 2002. With our advice, the roles and responsibilities of the Independent Reviewing Services became embedded within the framework of the IRO Handbook, linked to revised statutory Care Planning Regulations and Guidance which was introduced in April 2011.
The managers group continues to work directly with government, acting as advisors in relation to guidance, policy and practice; and sharing regional and national information in relation to care planning and outcomes for children and young people in care and care leavers.
The partnership meets in London four times a year, and we are grateful to the DfE for hosting our meetings.
Covering each of the nine regions of England, NIROMP has a well organised programme of regional meetings / events with and for IROs.
More about the work of the regions: Contact Us
Ensuring the child’s views are taken into account: Care Proceedings: Role of the Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO)
Facilitating an effective IRO service: Local authority responsibilities
Message from the Chair: here
Feedback and comments
We hope you find the site helpful – let us know – leave a comment. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will find a reply box where you can add some text.
We may hold your comments and we will not reply to all comments. We reserve the right to not publish all comments.
Purpose and limitations of this website
This site is self-hosted and not equipped to deal with any individual legal, emergency, criminal, mental health, safeguarding, or protection issues or advice of any kind.
Our aim is to provide useful articles for informational and interest purposes only.
- Care Review: What is Josh MacAlister’s ‘Experts by Experience’ group?Chair of the Care Review Josh MacAlister has called on those with experience of the children’s social care system to join a hand-picked advisory … Continue reading Care Review: What is Josh MacAlister’s ‘Experts by Experience’ group?
- Care Review: Sector responds to long-awaited announcement amid concerns over appointment of chairChildren’s social care leaders have called on the newly appointed chair of the government’s independent Care Review to ensure care experienced people are “at … Continue reading Care Review: Sector responds to long-awaited announcement amid concerns over appointment of chair
- Start 2021 with an exciting new opportunity: Hammersmith & Fulham, Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO) serviceAn exciting opportunity has arisen as a full-time, permanent Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO) in our Safeguarding, Review and Quality Assurance Service. Hammersmith & Fulham, … Continue reading Start 2021 with an exciting new opportunity: Hammersmith & Fulham, Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO) service
- How young black people in care made their voices heardBefore 1980, the experiences of black children in care were hidden from history. In this piece for @ConversationUK Professor Mike Stein of @spsw writes … Continue reading How young black people in care made their voices heard
- The Urgency in a Moment: A Call for Critical Self–Reflection And ActionOriginally posted on Dr Amanda ML Taylor-Beswick @amltaylor66:
Social work has often been reluctant to recognise the part we play in the sustaining of…
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates.