How NIROMP came into being
NIROMP formed originally in 2004 as a ‘working group’ made up of IRO Managers who were representatives from the Government regional areas across England, to work with the Department for Education (DfE) on ‘IRO guidance’ for The Adoption and Children Act 2002. With our advice, the roles and responsibilities of the Independent Reviewing Services became embedded within the framework of the IRO Handbook, linked to revised statutory Care Planning Regulations and Guidance which was introduced in April 2011.
The managers group continues to work directly with government, acting as advisors in relation to guidance, policy and practice; and sharing regional and national information in relation to care planning and outcomes for children and young people in care and care leavers.
Covering each of the nine regions of England, NIROMP has a well organised programme of regional meetings and Community of Practice events with and for IROs.
More about the work of the regions: Contact Us
Ensuring the child’s views are taken into account: Care Proceedings: Role of the Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO)
Facilitating an effective IRO service: Local authority responsibilities
Message from the Chair: here
Feedback and comments
We hope you find the site helpful – let us know – leave a comment. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will find a reply box where you can add some text.
We may hold your comments and we will not reply to all comments. We reserve the right to not publish all comments.
Purpose and limitations of this website
This site is self-hosted and not equipped to deal with any individual legal, emergency, criminal, mental health, safeguarding, or protection issues or advice of any kind.
Our aim is to provide useful articles for informational and interest purposes only.
- NIROMP Anti-Racism and ActivismLast updated: 13 May 2023 NIROMP actions, learning and support resources can be accessed: HERE This work never ends. Our learning resources form part … Continue reading NIROMP Anti-Racism and Activism
- NIROMP response to ‘Stable Homes, Built on Love’ consultationSubmitted 11th May 2023. Published by NIROMP 13th May 2023 “Funding settlements need to address the existing regional inequalities our members see. We are … Continue reading NIROMP response to ‘Stable Homes, Built on Love’ consultation
- Social work leaders must take action to embed anti-racist practiceSource Community Care by Kirsty Ayakwah on May 9, 2023 “This action is about changing the culture of an organisation and for this to happen, you need … Continue reading Social work leaders must take action to embed anti-racist practice
- Aisha Cleary: Inquest to look into circumstances of how a 18 year old care leaver gave birth alone in prison cell at HMP BronzefieldSource: Inquest.org.uk 2nd May 2023 Deborah Coles, Director at INQUEST, said: “A teenager giving birth alone in a prison cell, her calls for help ignored, is … Continue reading Aisha Cleary: Inquest to look into circumstances of how a 18 year old care leaver gave birth alone in prison cell at HMP Bronzefield
- NIROMP Community of Practice: Making it HappenSource NIROMP Reposted 2nd May 2023 Venue: Each session will be held via MTeams and a link provided by the session host nearer the … Continue reading NIROMP Community of Practice: Making it Happen