How NIROMP came into being
NIROMP formed originally in 2004 as a ‘working group’ made up of IRO Managers who were representatives from the Government regional areas across England, to work with the Department for Education (DfE) on ‘IRO guidance’ for The Adoption and Children Act 2002. With our advice, the roles and responsibilities of the Independent Reviewing Services became embedded within the framework of the IRO Handbook, linked to revised statutory Care Planning Regulations and Guidance which was introduced in April 2011.
The managers group continues to work directly with government, acting as advisors in relation to guidance, policy and practice; and sharing regional and national information in relation to care planning and outcomes for children and young people in care and care leavers.
Covering each of the nine regions of England, NIROMP has a well organised programme of regional meetings and Community of Practice events with and for IROs.
More about the work of the regions: Contact Us
Ensuring the child’s views are taken into account: Care Proceedings: Role of the Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO)
Facilitating an effective IRO service: Local authority responsibilities
Message from the Chair: here
Feedback and comments
We hope you find the site helpful – let us know – leave a comment. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will find a reply box where you can add some text.
We may hold your comments and we will not reply to all comments. We reserve the right to not publish all comments.
Purpose and limitations of this website
This site is self-hosted and not equipped to deal with any individual legal, emergency, criminal, mental health, safeguarding, or protection issues or advice of any kind.
Our aim is to provide useful articles for informational and interest purposes only.
- New: Safety Planning in Education: A guide for professionals supporting children following incidents of harmful sexual behaviourDate: 3 September 2022 Source: Centre of Expertise on Child Abuse This new resource Safety Planning in Education: A guide for professionals supporting children … Continue reading New: Safety Planning in Education: A guide for professionals supporting children following incidents of harmful sexual behaviour
- DFE APPOINTS MACALISTER TO ADVISE ON CARE REVIEW IMPLEMENTATIONSource: Community Care by Mithran Samuel on September 1, 2022 in Children, Social work leaders Review lead and former Frontline chief will support officials in drawing up plans to implement … Continue reading DFE APPOINTS MACALISTER TO ADVISE ON CARE REVIEW IMPLEMENTATION
- Consultation for young care experienced people on Care Review recommendationsDate published: 19th September 2022 Coram Voice have launched a consultation alongside National Youth Advocacy Service to hear from care experienced children and young … Continue reading Consultation for young care experienced people on Care Review recommendations
- Child Welfare Inequalities Network – inaugural seminarDate: September 22nd, 12 – 1pmOnlineFreeThe Child Welfare Inequalities Network comprises researchers from a range of countries who are engaged in understanding how child welfare … Continue reading Child Welfare Inequalities Network – inaugural seminar
- Part 1: Children’s Commissioner’s Family ReviewThe Children’s Commissioner for England, Rachel de Souza, has published the first half of her review into family life, describing strong family support as … Continue reading Part 1: Children’s Commissioner’s Family Review